Among the different industrial welding procedures, orbital TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welding has gradually become an indispensable and efficient process in advanced industrial sectors. Taking a training course in orbital welding will ensure that you are prepared for the future of industrial TIG welding.
What is orbital welding ?
When high quality welds are required, orbital welding is the ideal technique. In orbital TIG welding, the welding torch generally rotates around the pipes to be welded. The name orbital welding comes from the circular movement of the welding equipment around the workpiece.
Why has orbital TIG welding become essential ?
The orbital welding process offers many advantages that can convince industrial partners. Here are a few examples:
- Higher productivity than manual welding : Welding sequences are repeated in a stable and ergonomic way: the time required for maintenance operations can be minimised without involving the fatigue of the welders or the drudgery of the task.
- Skill level : Orbital welding equipment can be used by operators who have first undergone orbital welding training. This reduces labour costs, as the operators are generally paid much lower wages and are easier to recruit in the labour market.
- Environment : Small or inaccessible space, lack of visibility, exposure to radiation: once the welding head is positioned, the welding can be done remotely.
- Traceability – Quality control : On an orbital welding system, the welding parameters can be monitored and compiled into a printable welding protocol. Sophisticated data acquisition devices can operate in parallel. They can be connected directly to another quality control system and thus permit automatic data transfers without interrupting the welding cycle.
Which industries need operators who have had orbital TIG welding training ?
TIG welding is becoming the major process in the following industries:
- The aerospace industry : It was the first industry to recognise the importance of the orbital TIG welding process. More than 1500 welds are required to produce the high pressure circuit of a single aircraft.
- The food industry : The food industry requires the use of tubes that comply with strict sanitary standards. The weld joints must penetrate completely as the slightest defect can present a danger by permitting the development of pathogens. For this reason, current standards and specifications are increasingly forcing the food industry to adopt the orbital TIG welding process.
- Semiconductor material manufacturing : The ultra-pure gas used in the manufacture of semiconductor components must pass through electro-polished stainless steel tubes without contamination. The acceptance criteria for the installations are extremely strict. Only technicians working on reliable orbital welding equipment are able to perform this type of operation successfully.
- The chemical industry : The chemical industry has a high demand for welding. This is because a production unit consists of noble metals and alloys. The quality of the welds often determines the service life of the installations. The strict control of the welding process therefore requires the automation of the welding process. The choice of orbital welding is obvious and is generally imposed by the customers.
- Thermal and nuclear power plants : To ensure the high level of safety in thermal power stations and nuclear reactors, all categories of TIG welding applications are used. The welding techniques and the quality of the welds are generally subject to supervision by authorities and/or external bodies. Bodies.
Orbital welding equipment provides the required documentation and traceability.
Why is it important to take an orbital welding course ?
As we can see, orbital TIG welding is increasingly present and in demand in different industrial sectors. However, the number of people with the knowledge to use these specialised TIG welding equipment is lower than the demand. Being trained in the use of orbital welding equipment therefore ensures that this high demand is met. .
- A win-win situation : Often seen as a constraint, professional training offers many advantages. Once the recruitment has been made, the time needed for the new employee to adapt to the specific aspects of the company and the job must be taken into account. By allowing an employee to train, this time is no longer required. By giving its employees professionnal training, a company gives itself a definitely more advantageous position in an increasingly competitive market..
- A better working environment : By contributing to the career development of its employees, the company allows them to feel supported in their success. Employees become confident, committed and motivated, and this stimulates a positive spirit within the teams..
- More competitive : With employees qualified in orbital TIG welding, the company is better equipped to satisfy the needs and expectations of the market and its customers and to compete. Requiring its employees to have professional training makes the company more competitive.
- Adapting through new knowledge and skills : Orbital welding training allows employees to develop the knowledge and skills required for their job. It enables them to adapt better to changes in their career, or even to progress in their field or to become more versatile.
- A positive perception : The second important aspect of professionnal training is the employees’ perception of themselves and the company they work for. By adding to their skills, employees feel more confident in their work and in the position they hold.
Orbital welding training is the essential complement to Polysoude equipment
Polysoude is committed to the permanent satisfaction of its customers. This satisfaction is achieved via the service solutions we provide with our equipment. Among these services, Polysoude provides training in the use and maintenance of orbital welding equipment.
Why take an orbital welding training course with Polysoude?
No one else is better qualified or capable of training you on our machines than Polysoude. Polysoude has a team of instructors whose main job is welding with our machines.
We offer orbital TIG welding training courses at our Polysoude site in Nantes, in one of our professional training rooms, but we can also provide training directly at our customers' premises or remotely via our secure remote intervention system.
They are broken down into themes, based on our range of machines, and can be found in our training catalogue.
Continuous improvement and educational engineering
At Polysoude, we continuously improves the structures and professionalism of our training services and obtaining the Qualiopi certification demonstrates the commitment of our teams to the quality of our training services, which comply with the requirements of the National Quality Standards published by the French Ministry of Labour.